- Time dependent change in solution turbidity during mineral precipitation and dissolution reactions
- Colourimetry to determine concentration of dissolved species, e.g., monomeric silica, phosphate
- Detection of organic compounds
Light is passed through a solution placed within a plastic or quartz cuvette to determine reflection or transmission properties as a function of wavelength.
- The solution in the cuvette can be stirred throughout the measurement.
- Simple and small systems, that can be placed inside incubators to control temperature, can be monitored
- Measurements can be taken as a function of time and wavelength (190 – 650 nm)